Sunday, June 1, 2008

If I stand

George MacDonald asks why can't two things exist in the same place at the same time? Why do what we see and feel, the material things, have the tyranny to push out things that we can't see or feel?

"There's more that rises in the morning than the sun, and more that shines in the night than just the moon."

In a spectacular Rich Mullins song (and he has many), he sings "there's more that dances on the prairie than the wind, and more that pulses in the ocean than the tide." His words speak of a transcendence that draws us to a higher way of living.

The focal point of this song is found in Rich Mullins' reaction, his response. In the chorus he says "if I stand, let me stand on the promise that you will pull me through. If I fall, let me fall on the grace that first brought me to you." A belief that there is more to this world than the eye can see, that two things really can exist in the same place at the same time, brings a desire to live in the full awareness of that second world. If I stand, if the choices I make bring great things, let it be because God is the one allowing me to stand. If I fall, I am not finished due to my own weakness, but fall on the grace of the Lord Jesus.

"If I sing, let it be for the joy that has borne in me these songs, and if I weep let it be as a man who is longing for his home."
Let the joy found in this life be because there is eternal joy, and if there is sorrow, weep, because not all things are as they should be, and we long for the day when the second world fully bursts through into this one, restoring what has been broken.

No comments: