Saturday, August 13, 2011

plants

I've been trying my hand at houseplants this year. The first attempt was about a year ago, with two plants from the supermarket. I just used topsoil from the garden and they dried up while I was gone over Christmas.

This spring I tried again with some cuttings from neighbors, wild English ivy, and a couple of orchids. I've had mixed success. I could imagine that growing plants is like raising children. It takes a lot of attention and care and you have to be paying attention and know when to prune or discipline, but there's also a lot of waiting and being patient and realizing that there is nothing I can do. I just have to wait.

It's a lot of fun, though, to watch a plant really take off. My little spider plant just sent out a little spiderette!


2 comments:

JR said...

And sometimes you just leave them alone to grow on their own, with water and sun of course.
JR

Karen said...

what, the plants or the children?