Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Free pizza

When one changes one's meal plan at the college dining hall, when lunches and suppers become more sporadic and need a little more planning than walking in and swiping a card in order to enjoy a banquet of Medieval proportions, then the words "free food" have more than just a passing allure.
I know it's been said "there's no such thing as a free meal" but there are ones that have less pecuniary payout on my end, even if I do contribute by cleaning up or some other way.
It is within my best interests not to chase after free meals like a ravenous, tight-pocketed fool. I would lose self-respect, for instance. Nonetheless, I cannot deny that I think twice about going to an informational meeting about digging ancient dust in a city where bombs are falling (aka Ashkelon) when they say "free pizza!" And by thinking twice I mean that I actually consider going to the meeting.

But even if I do go and stuff my face with hot, greasy, delicious pizza at no charge to myself, Kathryn would never allow me to spend the airfare money just to follow her around the whole summer and complain (which she knows I will).

No comments: