Monday, February 4, 2008

Windsor

I played Scrabble tonight with Pauline, Winn, Louise, and Dee. Louise has a day-lily named after her. Pauline and Winn graduated from Wheaton in 1945 and knew my grandmother, Anna Hess Lander. What is it like to live at a nursing home with a college friend sixty-three years after graduation? As Simon and Garfunkel say "Can you imagine us years from today? How terribly strange to be seventy" let alone 85. We make choices in our lives and are responsible for those choices, but in a grand sense life just happens and we respond in a right way. These ladies have lived for so many years and have done so many things in their lives.
I'm only 22 and am so worried about what will happen in the next few months, the next few years. If my life isn't settled by the time I'm 30 I'm lost. But here they are, 85 years old. Life happens and you take it one day at a time.

Otto gave me three kisses, and he's 101.

No comments: