Saturday, March 29, 2008

Uke

My ukulele has an odd habit of never being quite in tune, but I think that one which was perfectly tuned would fail to sound like a ukulele, at least as I know it.

I have always enjoyed making music, even though I've never been very stellar at it. I learned to play the guitar a couple of years ago, and soon after picked up my mother's ukulele and started to play that. At first all I played were little melodies that I picked up, most notably "Somewhere over the Rainbow." Slowly I began to learn proper tuning and chords (which, I noticed embarrassedly two years after I started playing, were ridiculously easy - I should have learned them right away).

I also bought a case for the little instrument. It makes it look like I'm carrying around a 3/4 violin or maybe a mafia-esque assassination tool. The case came with a little book of chords and songs, which I have since added to my repertoire.

It's much easier to carry around a ukulele than a guitar, and while it doesn't have the variations possible on a guitar (the ukulele has a range of just under two octaves) it definitely provides a base for singing, and the ability to pick out simple tunes.

I play it to calm myself, to entertain friends, to lead a song during class.
I also like the ukulele for its esoteric qualities. Most people don't know what it is, thinking it's a baby guitar (no, it will not grow up into a full-size) or a mandolin. There's a part of me that relishes in things that not everybody else knows about. 90% of Wheaton students play the guitar to some extent (my best estimate). I don't know anyone else who has a ukulele.

I am not sure if the ukulele is my attempt to live simply and leave my dad's guitar at home, or if it's a way for me to retain a sense of individuality in this community, or if it's simply something I enjoy. I can make music almost anywhere. Perhaps not the best quality, but it makes me smile.

"A shout out to my mom for giving me birth and letting me play her ukulele. I'll tattoo your name on my arm someday."

1 comment:

Shirley Hooge said...

I love you, Karen. I bought that ukelele at a school auction when I was in high school. You have done more with it than I ever did. I'm glad you have it. --Mom