Friday, March 7, 2008

14 digits

There are little things about living at Wheaton that I will miss. Little, rather insignificant things except for what they represent - belonging.

For instance, I really enjoy typing my fourteen digit ID number into the computer to access my library account. I have it memorized. Likewise, I like turning the dial on my CPO lock, waiting for the expectant catch when it clicks and I can open it.

I enjoy textures - running my finger along the groove in a brick wall, resting my unfinished carrot on my lips while I chew. Likewise, what I like about the above things are the tangible feelings they give my fingers - I like watching my fingers move quickly across the key pad and like feeling the tug of the lock as it catches. It is easy for me to think about how I'll miss them because I like them at such a basic (though not quite visceral) level.

Both of these activities are privileges of belonging to this community. Once I graduate my library account will be disabled and my college post office box will be given to an incoming freshman. This is the way of life - it keeps moving and changing. It is easier to think on these trappings of belonging rather than on the true substance of the community that I will miss. My future has a bend in the road which I cannot see beyond so I busy myself enjoying opening my CPO box.

1 comment:

Natasha said...

well, you will always have carrots...and me. I love you! I am sure you will have countless other codes to memorize in your life and I hope they will be even more satisfying. yay body.