Thursday, January 24, 2008

Greek exegesis

Dr. Gerald Hawthorne taught Greek at Wheaton for many years; he taught my dad in the '70s. I met Dr. Hawthorne my freshman year when I frequented his church near the campus. He and his wife, Jane, were very welcoming and I ate at their house for Easter. Dr. Hawthorne had trouble remembering who I was, which was fine; no hard feelings.

Today I was sitting in the library, reading a text about the Apostles' Creed when I came across Dr. Hawthorne's name. Some Greek translation he had worked on had relevance to the topic at hand, and I paused momentarily to think about Dr. Hawthorne's life work. As he has an office at Buswell library, I have often seen him there, and today, as I was contemplating "I believe in God the Father, the Almighty..." Dr. Hawthorne walked into my field of view. He got a cup of coffee and a Twix bar from the machines against the far wall and slowly made his way towards me. After picking up a book to peruse, he came to a chair near mine and asked "Is anyone sitting here?" I answered, "No, go ahead." "Thank you, April!" was his cheerful reply.

I'm not sure who April was, but I smiled and went back to my book.

No comments: