Monday, January 28, 2008
Windsor Park
On Monday nights I lead a college ministry to a nearby nursing home. We go over and for an hour and a half visit and play games with residents. Every time I go, I don't regret it, though sometimes I feel a bit lackluster before we need to head out. Tonight was especially encouraging. Two new volunteers came with us, and they were very engaged with the residents. It was neat to see them. We also got to spend a lot of time with different residents - since we go in the evening, some are already getting set for bed - but tonight there was a good turnout. I played a game called "Shake loose a memory" with Dee, Florence, and Jim. We rolled the dice and picked up a matching card. We read the back of it - "keep this card if you have ridden a motorcycle," "keep this card if a doctor delivered your children in a hospital." If you'd done it, you keep the card, if not, you lay it back down. It was a joy to see Jim read the card, pause, and then a smile spreads across his face as he remembers planting a garden or being bit by a dog (it wasn't a serious bite).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment