Thursday, May 15, 2008

My own personal time-machine.

Driving home from Illinois is like going back in time. Well, actually, maybe it's more like pressing the rewind button on a video tape. The leaves on the trees move backward, getting smaller, disappearing back into the branches. The tulips pull their petals in and scoot back toward the earth. Going north in the spring time is friendly, not menacing, because it means I get to experience the blossoming of spring all over again. Going north in the fall, however, is sad and lonely. It's pressing the fast forward button. The leaves have fallen already and you lose the experience.

I drove home yesterday and today, and while noticing the changes in the trees, I spent a solid three and half hours of the time listening to a dramatization of Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I didn't leave early enough to drive the dawn, plus I was going north and west, not east, but it was still a voyage nonetheless. Eustace makes me laugh, and at times I slapped my knee (yes, I will acknowledge this. I laugh aloud to myself when I'm driving alone.) I can't get over how ridiculous he is. He is on such an amazing adventure and he can't see it! He just wants to find a British Consulate, as if you could find one of those in Narnia. The transformation he undergoes, though, metamorphizing into a dragon, is rather potent. When I heard the lonely dragon cry of Eustace when he realizes what has happened to him, I felt sad with him. Later, when Aslan tells him that he needs help undressing his dragon skin, I heard the growl of the lion as he sunk his teeth deep into the scales and skin enclosing Eustace. I could imagine the terror and the hope Eustace felt, for though the teeth of a lion hurt, he could not rid himself of the dragon skin he so desperately desired gone, and needed someone stronger.

No comments: