Saturday, April 19, 2008

Fresnillo

I have pretty much decided that I will spend the next year working in Fresnillo, Mexico at a church. It's an Anglican church, and that's really attractive to me. I've grown up in low-church settings, but taking Historical Theology this semester has brought the fullness of Christian tradition to my attention. I want to learn more about that, walking through the Church calendar with a community.

The organization is called Christ for Children, International. I will be working especially with the kids in the church and in the neighborhood, organizing and leading Kids Clubs. I've taken three years of Spanish, but it will be an exciting challenge to learn how to effectively communicate the gospel cross-culturally and linguistically. Working with Mexican kids will also probably be a lot different than working with the Midwestern elderly, as I do at the nursing home. God's always leading us.

I'm also really excited about the community that I'll be joining. It's quite scary and sad to leave my friends and community at Wheaton. I know that no community of Christians is perfect, but I think that this will be good for me - to step into this rather than step out on my own (though I am never really alone).

No comments: